Constructed in 1896 by J. Solf, Brooklyn's occupies one of the remaining buildings which stand along the former Golden Road (The road to Golden), of which the predominantly Jewish town of Colfax encompassed. Around the turn of the 20th century, shopkeepers in the immediate area incorporated a small section of the town and named it Brooklyn, after Brooklyn N.Y. because of the Jewish immigrants settling in the neighborhood. The southeast corner of west Colfax Avenue and Morrison Road had to be passed by anyone heading west to the foothills or east into the city, including herds of cattle.
Eli Schachet, who was highly influential in the Jewish community, rented and eventually purchased the building for his expanding meat business. It later became a mercantile and a popular meeting place for the entire community. Famous for his fish and kosher meats, the Schachet mercantile attracted illustrious visitors such as Jack Benny, the Marx Brothers and Bugsy Seigel.
Eli's son, Nelson Schachet took over the business specializing in fish-smoking and it was from Nelson that the Solf building was purchased to become Brooklyn's. After extensive renovation, Brooklyn's opened in December of 1983.